- Swimming in Philadelphia’s creeks, streams, and rivers is illegal and UNSAFE.
- The water is polluted with yard chemicals, roadway runoff, debris, and animal waste.
- During heavy rains the municipal sewers overflow into the creeks.
- Water levels can rise tremendously and without warning.
- In recent years, 16 people have drowned in Philadelphia’s creeks and streams.
- Contributing factors in drowning deaths include:
- Overconfidence in swimming ability
- Underestimating conditions
- Attempting to rescue another person
Stay On Shore!